Tuesday, December 7, 2010

ocs navy graduation

Chad graduated from Officers Candidate School for the Navy in Newport, RI this past weekend. All of his medals are from the four years in the Airforce. You could sure tell who the men and women were who had served in another branch of service. I think that he looks so handsome.
Here he is (middle) during the pass and review portion of the weekend.

That evening was the "Hi Mom" meet and greet. Just the name makes me cry. It was five years ago to the day that Lori was with us at Chad's graduation from  Airforce boot camp. She was sure missed and never far from our minds. However, Mom and Dad and I were there to represent her for our side of the family. Becky's dad came and Jeff, Kiely and Alan (soon to be my nephew...I hope!) were also there.

Beautiful Becky and Chad. Notice the black electrical tape below the star on his left sleeve? They have to cover up the gold stripe, which signifies an officer in the Navy, until graduation day.

My sweet girl Kiely and Chad

Becky, Chad, Kiely and Alan
Kiely and Alan

Grandma, Chad and Grandpa

Me and Chad
Chad, Becky and her dad, Don
This is one of the Marines that trained the officers. So cuddly and nice, huh?!* Looks like it was a long twelve weeks to me Chad!

All of that training paid off because Chad was one of three men that received the physical fitness award!

We went to dinner after the "Hi Mom" meet and greet.

Chad looks pretty tired!

What a sweet couple!
My Mamma and me=)
The next morning at "0 dark hundred" 4:45 to be exact, the gang joined Chad and the troops for a mile run!

Becky and Kiely eating lunch

GRADUATION DAY! Here is Chad receiving his diploma.

You know it's official when the hats are in the air!


Proud Grandma and Grandpa. Grandpa couldn't hold back the emotions and Grandma was ready with her Hallmark card!


Here are just half of the officers lined up for their class picture.

Here he is lined up for his first salute as an Officer in the Navy. He just looks like a pilot doesn't he?!
SOOOOOOOOOOOO PROUD of you Chad!
Becky's first salute as an officer's wife=)
What an adventure they have ahead of them!
Good job Buddy! Now he is off to Pensacola...actually, he just got there! He and Becky are in Milton, FL. Chad will be training as a pilot. He will be at the base in Pensacola for a couple weeks and then he will be stationed at Whiting for the duration of his Florida stay.
While Chad and Becky left for Indiana to pack up, Mom, Dad, Kiely, Alan and I went to the Breakers mansion and the Elms mansion.


The Breakers mansion was the summer home to the Vanderbilt family constructed in 1893-95. The same family who built the Biltmore in Ashville, NC.

While taking this picture I noticed some birds that have called this place home.

I wouldn't want to leave either!

We were only allowed to take one picture inside and it had to be of one of the Christmas trees. This tree was in the grand ballroom.

This is just one breathtaking view standing on the back terrace looking towards the ocean.

It made a great backdrop for a picture!

These are the neighbors to the Breakers. Both homes are on the "cliff walk" as you can see in the picture below. It is a three mile walk that follows the ocean around the back of the homes.


Kiely and I in front of the Elms mansion.

Baron Berwind's money came from selling coal to Cornelius Vanderbilt for his Railroad. This was his summer home. It was completed in 1901.

I thought that the statue of the lion killing the alligator would look great in front of our Fripp Home!







We had lunch at the Wharf and then we were off to look at "everyday homes" along the ocean.

This house and its setting reminded me of the picture you painted for me Karen.

I just loved seeing the rowboats lying on the rocky shore.

I took this one for Graham. He loves white houses with columns.
Ocean view while we were driving.

I love how this home is nestled amongst the rocks.


Love that American flag flyin'!

This one is for sale...

More beautiful scenery.
This was my favorite. Later you will see another picture that I took of the Adirondack chairs that were sitting on the rock at the right hand side of this picture. What a view.


The top two homes were across the street from my favorite house.



Some of the most beautiful sunsets! The bridge is the bridge one has to take into Newport and the aircraft carrier sat in the bay on base across from the Navy Lodge where we stayed.




There are little lighthouses all over to guide ships through the rocky shoreline.




I love Adirondack chairs and New England is full of them! I want to have the last picture framed or put on canvas for the Fripp house.

Here is a whole sea of them! You can see the Newport bridge in the background. Okay, I'm done with the chairs.



Mom and Dad drove to RI and went through the International Tennis Hall of Fame Museum before we flew in. I didn't go through it but did peek my head in to see the grass courts. I wish the boys would have been with me. The weather was so warm they could have played.  



New England was everything and more that I thought that it would be! I am so glad that your graduation got me there, Chad. We were so blessed with great weather (the roses and rhododendrons were still blooming!) great food and awesome company! If you ever get a chance to go to Newport, RI go...you won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment