Wednesday, January 4, 2012

what a start to the new year!

The saying, "If you've got your health you have it all" is so true. I am not one that likes to share personal information with people other than my family and close friends, but recently two woman's health issues have hit home and I feel compelled to share. I believe that it is important to pass along this information and bring awareness to: Interstitial Cystitis of the Bladder (IC) and heart attack symptoms in women.

In late November of 2011, I was diagnosed with Interstitial Cystitis of the Bladder. This means that the lining inside of my bladder is gone. Professionals are not sure as to why this happens. Some speculations are diet, long term use of antibiotics and such. I believe that I have lived with IC for many years but I was always told I had a bladder infection. As you know, bladder infections decide to show up in the wee hours of the morning or on weekends when one cannot simply get in to see a doctor...and when you have a bladder infection ONE CANNOT WAIT to see the doctor! So instead, I would always go to Med Check (which by the way is an excellent resource to have!) and was told over and over that I had a bladder infection. On my last visit there, they stated how concerned they were and was relieved to know that I had set up an appointment with my regular doctor.

A bladder infection and IC have similar symptoms except the tested urine of an IC patient registers normal (or no bacteria). Some of the symptoms are frequent urination without relief and burning and sensitivity around the abdomen and vaginal area. The patient is given an antibiotic for 7 days or so and soon the infection clears up. Not the case for an IC patient.

Because the wall of an IC patient is no longer protecting the bladder, certain variables such as foods, drinks, menstrual cycle, stress etc. triggers the bladder to spasm. Gone is the antibiotic protocol. In my case, it is a road of a lot of medications and bladder installations. All of which are helping me tremendously! I have put a link to some IC websites below which can explain the protocol and such for IC. Also, I had to have a hysterectomy almost three weeks ago to remove my uterus. This was done for two reasons...I had endometriosis and a prolapsed uterus. The uterus and bladder are neighbors and when my bladder was full it would hit my uterus and trigger an IC flare-up. Also, my menstrual cycles and hormonal changes were coinciding with my IC flare-ups. Hopefully now that the uterus is gone, I will not have as many...or any would be nice!...flare-ups.

From August to November I felt like I had a bladder infection. I had been on antibiotics for three months straight without any relief. Unknowingly, I had created the perfect storm inside my bladder. How you ask? Well, cranberry juice or cranberry pills are always suggested to a patient to help with bladder infections...so, I was taking triple the strength cranberry pills twice a day. I was feeling really run down due to always being in pain and lack of sleep because of the pain so I started back on a multivitamin. In October I drove Graham down south to look at colleges and meet with some tennis coaches which was stressful and a lot of sitting while driving. I also was enjoying that southern sweet tea and coffee every morning! And, because of all the antibiotics I was taking, I was eating my weight in yogurt to prevent a yeast infection. OH BOY was I shocked when I read the possible triggers for IC. There in bold letters was NO CRANBERRY juice, NO MULTIVITAMIN because of the acid from vitamin C and B vitamins, no coffee or tea, no sitting for long amounts of time, no yogurt! Oh, and stress was a culprit too!

That perfect storm lead me to call a day before my yearly exam because I could not sit, stand or lay without being in pain. I am a patient of  Dr. Blake and Marilyn Frasier (nurse practitioner). My urine was checked and was clear. I said, "That can't be!" and Marilyn said, "I think you have IC." I came home and read all afternoon about IC and I was a textbook case! I cannot thank God enough for making me so miserable, on a week day, so I would call in and get to the bottom of my chronic pain. I also cannot thank Dr. Blake and staff enough. They truly are a Godsend to me. I looked on an IC website, which is posted below, to see who treated IC in the state of IN and Dr. Blake and another doctor in South Bend are the only one's registered. Who knew that the doctor that I had been seeing for 16 years had been trained years ago on this rapidly growing disease!

So, I will continue treatments for however long it takes and I will take all of my meds as needed and hopefully be pain free someday. I used to be one to enjoy groups of women whether it be at a bible study or just a get together, but in the past 5 years or so I slowly pulled myself away from any commitments due to not knowing when I was going to have a flare-up. One testimony I read said that a woman did two years of installations and meds and has been four years without a flare-up! We'll see! Like I said, I feel better already! I feel like I am slowly getting my life back. And just a piece of advise...go to Med Check if you have to, but follow up with your doctor. Don't wait until the next time, or the next time, or the next time!

On another note...and I will make this one quick I promise! My mom had a heart attack last weekend. She got home this evening and is doing well. She had a stint put in one artery because it was 100% blocked. Her symptoms were so misleading and that is what I want to share with everyone. For a month or so she had been complaining about her right arm hurting her. This was not something new because she has a slight tear in the rotary cuff and she had polio as a child and experiences post polio pain quite frequently in that arm. Also, she was so tired but she thought that it was due to decorating, hosting parties etc. for Christmas. She also had a stinging feeling in her chest that became increasingly intollarable.

Well, these were all symptoms of a heart attack! The pain in the right arm and not left, being tired around the holidays, and a "stinging like" heart burn was not the "elephant sitting on the chest" warning symptoms! Her arm no longer has pain and while she is exhausted from two nights in the hospital she is feeling better. One piece of advise on this subject: if it isn't normal and it doesn't feel right GO and see about it. Also, have your doctor screen for cholesterol! My mom hasn't been screened in years! And remember, as women, we do have a high pain tolerance so we need to know our bodies and recognize and acknowledge when something is not quite right. We have to be good role models for our daughters/daughter-in-laws, sisters etc. A smart and strong woman will recognize when she needs to see a doctor and go! It does not do anyone any good to try and be a hero and live through pain...life's too short to be so miserable!

So, the new year has started out a little rough and instead of a "new years resolution" motivating me and my mom to eat right and lose a few pounds, it is necessary to do so to live a long healthy life! I hope that 2012 brings good health to my family and to all of my friends! Happy New Year!


IC websites:

http://www.ic-network.com/

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100002336694871&ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Jeffrey-M-Blake-MD-Inc/209291922434730

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/interstitial-cystitis/DS00497






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very good information. Especially the part about listening to what your body is telling you, have anything unusual checked out by a doctor (better safe than sorry) and allowing yourself time off when things seem not quite right. In other words - DON'T PUSH YOURSELF when your body is telling you whoa, slow down there, little lady. We are blessed that you both are on the mend and are wiser from the experiences. Love to you both, Ellen

Anonymous said...

Wow Holly, I'm very glad you figured all this out and are on the mend. Take it slow and do it right, same advice for your mom. Maybe some Fripp time is part of the healing process. Thinking of you and Grandma Kay!
Melissa

Melissa said...

Holly,
Wow! I am so sorry that you have been going through this. I am so happy your mom is going to be ok, but how scary. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. Take Care!
Missi

Post a Comment