Gary Chapman wrote a book called
The Five Love Languages. The five languages are quality of time, receiving gifts,
acts of service, and physical touch. Now, I have never read the book but I have had friends
tell me that "act of service" is my love language. They are so right! I would rather spend all of my days on this earth pleasing others and doing for others, it just makes me happy...it always has.
And, when I see my husband or my boys helping others without being prompted it makes my heart so happy. Or, when someone tells me about an act of kindness that one of my boys or husband has done, and they didn't say anything about it, makes me even more happy.
...do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. (Matthew 6:3-4)
On our way to my mother-in-law's house this morning to give her her mother's day "gift" early, Evan and I passed a church that was passing out free food...my heart swelled and it took all my strength not to stop the car and go help out! But, I drove on because I was on a mission to surprise my
mother-in-law with new landscaping in the front of her house!
(another love of mine...being one with the dirt!)
The landscape work has been hard for mom to manage since my father-in-law's passing two and a half years ago. Lack of motivation due to not feeling well (she needs a hip replacement!) has led to flower beds without borders and a ground spreader that was choking all of the plants.
So, with the help of my sweet son, we edged, weeded, pulled up the ground spreader, dug up the spring bulbs, annuals and plants, and set them aside so we could start with a clean pallet.
This is a little azalea plant that was being smothered by the ground cover.
It now has it's own little space!
This hosta before was scattered about so I placed some here
and planted the rest on the north side of the house.
The big knock-out rose to the left was a mother's day gift to mom from dad the year before he died.
It had gotten so big so I gave it it's own space to grow and added two new plants for lots of inviting color!
The hyacinth to the right blooms only in the spring and it is placed along with the tulips and daffodils! This will be so pretty next Spring!
Speaking of Spring...I picked these Spring colored flowers out for the wicker table.
Dad also got the wicker table set for mom for mother's day one year...
his name came up many times today and just watching Evan pull that little red wagon
behind the the mower made me think of the endless times Pappaw took his boys for a ride in it!
This is one of many pictures of the boys with Pappaw and his mower!
Such great memories...boy how time flies!!
Now he has his first year of college done and he is the one driving :)
The little red wagon looks sooo little now!
Before...
After!
Before...
after!
The mulch will protect the roots of the plants, help hold moisture and keep the weeds down.
I just loved the color with the bright greet hosta and bright red knock out roses!
The trellis will support a hibiscus plant of which mom's sister gave her a start.
It will be fun watching it grow and to see what color it is...I'm hoping it is yellow!
Mom got some new blue seat cushions last year and they look so pretty with all of the pink colors!
Sooo inviting...I just wish that I would've had time to sit for a while and sip some lemonade!
But I will be back!
In the meantime Mammy, please take it easy until your surgery and just sit and enjoy!
She just wouldn't sit down ;)
Love you mom!
Thanks for letting me satisfy my "love language" for your early mother's day surprise!

3 comments:
What a great way to spend the day! Must have made Marjorie very happy just to have you all there. And it looks great!
I need you to come by and help me plan my landscaping. Only have one lilac bush so I am starting at ground zero. And it will probably have to be in stages.
i would absolutely love that! you just give me a shout and i will be there :)
I just love and appreciate all the hard work that you and Evan have done for me. It is beautiful and I will certainly enjoy sitting on the porch as often as possible. It was so wonderful spending the day with two of my precious loved ones. God loves you and so do I. Thanks for everything.
Post a Comment