This is the first day of 2014 and I have to say that I am really looking
forward to the many life-changing events that will take place this year!
But, before I get ahead of myself I want to take a moment to blog about some
events that took place last year.
Tom pointed out more than once how I wasn't keeping up with my blog last year.
Probably because I spent the first half of 2013 working in the basement with him!
So, I'll start there...
(Tom cutting slate)
In the latter part of 2012 Todd and I decided to finish our basement.
Tom was our "contractor" and I was his helper!
Everything was going really well going into the Fall of that year and then
BAM!
Tom was rushed to the ER because he had an internal tear in his descending artery.
He was working at the house, the only day I wasn't, and knew that something was terribly wrong.
Long scary story short, he survived (THANK GOD!) but needed to rest until after the new year.
So, a year ago he and I were going great guns trying to finish before Graham's graduation
open house.
I really wish that I could find my before pictures of the basement
but I have switched to the boys old Mac laptop and
but I have switched to the boys old Mac laptop and
have no idea where they are.
I will do my best though...
This was my inspiration piece.
I recently started to go to a new dentist and this wall of slate is in his waiting room.
That was all that I needed to get started!
After Tom put up all of the studs, wired for lights, sound system, appliances
and had the plumbing installed and then drywalled
(missing pictures to be inserted later when found)
he was now ready to start on my inspiration wall!
Before we could go any further we needed a mantle.
I knew Brian, Todd's cousin, could fix me up.
Brian is a private contractor in the Richmond area and he purchased this beam from the
Amish in the area that they had obtained from an old barn.
It's a rugged beauty!
It came with old squared nails, knots and all!!
Perfect.
It was a heavy little sucker!
Thank you Brian for all of your help!!
Next, Tom got the wall ready to hold the mantle.
He said he wanted to make sure that if someone got crazy and started dancing on it
it wouldn't fall down! lol!
After I used some dark stain on it Tom drilled holes in the back to aid in securing it to the wall.
Voila!
Meanwhile in the bath and kitchen areas...
Looking into the shower.
Standing in the shower looking out towards the bathroom door.
Tile finished in the shower and floor.
I used bigger subway tile on the shower walls and
tile that looks like wood in a dark slate gray color.
Voila!
Kitchen floor installed...same as bath floor tile only in lighter shade.
Walls painted and cabinets to be installed by Todd and Tom!
I purchased them at Lowe's.
I spent many hours with Steve at Lowe's designing this area
and was very pleased with the results.
All appliances are under-the-counter.
This island is opposite of the kitchen and has four cabinets
back to back which supports the piece of granite and
has great storage for platters, games etc.
Voila!
Finish details:
Lighting in the back and stairway hall.
Lighting over the island.
Vanity in bath.
Sink faucet
Stainless drawer pulls.
Tiles in front of fireplace.
Media shelves.
Doors are up and trim is all painted and installed thanks to Tom.
Time to clean up and install carpet and furniture.
Soon there will be carpet and and ping pong table sitting where the saw is!
And a sectional will soon occupy this area!
This is where Tom sprayed all of the doors and trim.
It is now the workout room.
One last picture of the basement floor before it was carpeted.
Do you see the blue tape line...arch?
This is still underneath the carpet because I couldn't bear to pull it up!
It was the three point line the boys taped down when they used that area for a basketball court.
Carpet's here!
What used to be a basketball court is now...
...a place to play ping pong!
Which they LOVE to play!
Before the sectional...
...after
A few more before and afters.
Finally, we were finished!
Thank you Tom, and Karen for sharing him with us for months!
We could not have done it with out you!
Another 2013 event that I didn't get a chance to blog about
was our summer with family and friends at Fripp.
After some help from friends the guys finished the work on our "new" cart so...
...they were off to fripp!
I rode down later with my parents.
We were in Spartanburg when we saw this beautiful rainbow.
Unfortunately, we saw rainbows a lot that week which is not a good thing
when you are trying to stain decks outside.
I can't tell you how many times my poor dad would start staining and
then the rain would come.
He would then have to dry it out, sometimes using a leaf blower,
so he could beat the next line of storms coming in.
He finally finished a week later.
Thanks Dad!!!
Finally!
We could put the furniture outside and finish cleaning the inside before the family
came in for the fourth.
Here they come!
Alan and Kiely brought Evan and Graham with them.
Chad and Becky joined us too!
It was so nice to all be together again!
Beach time...
Todd joined us and brought T!!
Golf cart time...
The food and fourth...
Golf cart parade winners
(first)
(second place)
Family fun, help, and pix...
I was painting and Vladimir was curious!
He looked like Cruella-D-Dog!
After family left I got busy cleaning again and updating the downstairs Master BR.
I purchased some new bedding,
linens,
and pictures.
I loved what they said.
I was really pleased with how it turned out.
But, the icing on the cake was this pillow that Leslie had made for the house!
PERFECT!
Next, our friends Tony Levi, Tony and Leslie and Dennis and Lara
came to spend the week with us.
Tony and Leslie
Lara and Dennis
(poor Dennis was sick most of the time...he had his gull bladder removed the week he got home!)
Tony!
Beach time!
Golf!
Nighttime bucket of Corona's by the pool!
Sunsets on the pier!
A rainy sightseeing day on Hunting Island!
Fripp sights!
Playing with the dogs!
The very BEST food EVER!!!
Thanks to Tony, Tony and Leslie!
And last but not least...
the jet ski incident!
Do yo see this?
When you are on a jet ski DO NOT go near this.
It is known as the marsh and it is full of MUD, no SINKING MUD,
OYSTER SHELLS AND CRITTERS!!!
Can you see the raccoon?
Do you see the oyster shells in the article above?
They are VERY sharp and there are thousands of them out in the marsh.
As you can probably guess the three of us and Tony and Leslie, who were on another jet ski, got stuck in the marsh on our jet ski's while the tide was going OUT!
Long story short,
I prayed A LOT, Lara drove us to the main waterway with help from Dennis' navigating,
Tony and Leslie got stuck without any water, sunscreen, shoes etc., Fripp rescue boat was sent out, 911 was called and cancelled, Tony and Leslie were rescued, and our poor feet will never be the same!
First Aid supplies
Don't you just love how concerned Vladimir is!
All Vladimir wants to do is play and look at Doug...he is so concerned about Leslie!
Our poor feet!!!
Oh! If we only knew what was about to happen!
But, we made it out alive with a really great story and a bond no one else can understand!
While shopping in town Leslie found this painting that a local artist did and she purchased it as a memento of the short time she was stranded amongst the oyster shells in the marsh at Fripp!
Thanks for being our guests at Fripp!!
After all of the family and friends left, it was time to pack up and go home.
These two were worn out and ready to go!
After several loads of laundry I was finally able to relax and enjoy the rest of the summer
before both boys went off to college.
2013 was a great year and I know that 2014 is going to be just as great!
Things that I am looking forward to are my niece Kiely turning 30 on January 4...however, this means that I will have been out of high school for 30 years! Ugh! How did that happen!
Also,
January 8 she and Alan will find out the sex of their baby that will be due in June...which means designing the nursery and a baby shower in April!
Another big event to take place this month is...we're moving!
Todd and I sold our home in the Fall to some friends of ours and I am so excited for them!
We have made a lot of good memories in the home that we built 14 years ago and I am equally excited to start making memories in our new home.
Not only will I be hosting Kiely's baby shower here but also, for my friends, a wedding shower for Evan and Ashley!
They will also be graduating from college this May and Evan will then be going on to Law School
after getting married August 2.
Graham will be starting his first tennis season at Wabash this semester and will also be pledging a fraternity.
We are loving this exciting new chapter in our lives and feel so incredibly blessed.
Happy New Year to you all
and may it be all you've ever dreamed and more!
"For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord..." ~Jeremiah 29:11







































No comments:
Post a Comment