Thursday, May 2, 2013

top 10



Top Ten Percent Banquet

Graham's Senior year is winding down.
Last evening Graham celebrated with 32 other classmates for being at the top of their class.
 
It started out with a lovely dinner in the cafeteria and then on in to the auditorium.
This is where all 32 recipients read a letter to their honored guest.
The guest had to be a South Madison School employee
 (teacher, coach, counselor etc.)
that most influenced them while at school.
 
 
Each student had their picture on the big screen with their class rank and gpa.
 
This is Mr. Mark Hall, he is the Principal at PHHS.
Graham is being introduced and will then read his letter.
The honored guests don't know who the student is that is honoring them that evening.
The school asks each student whom they would like to honor and then they contact that individual.
 
Graham chose Mr. Vining...his elementary school art teacher!
This was his speech:

I always looked forward to art class but never knew what I was not learning until he became my teacher...one of my favorite teachers. His passion for artists, the pieces they painted or sculpted, and the mediums they used AND for us to learn what he loved about it all, was made exciting and more evident each week.

I found myself gravitating to his room almost daily wanting to learn more about art but also wanting to learn more about him. He was young, unlike most teachers and had just graduated from Purdue University with a bachelors degree in Art. One day I found out that he was a "true artist" and had already sold some of his work. But the reason for him selling his art shocked me. He was selling it to pay his way into Law School. I could not believe my art teacher was going to be a lawyer.

I remember being very upset knowing that he would not be teaching art ever again and thinking, "Why does this true artist want to become a lawyer?" He sure did not look like a lawyer or act like a lawyer. I remember I tried to absorb everything he taught that sixth grade year. On the last day of school, I hung around his classroom to help him pack up and to give him a drawing to support his new endeavor. I had drawn a picture of the lawyer scales of justice.

It was two years later when I was online searching for artists for an English paper when I ran across some familiar artwork that I knew was his. His haunting tree and whimsical house were all too familiar. In fact, I had copied it a million times on my sketch pad. I continued to read his biography and found out he was still selling art while in law school. I soon became friends with him through face book and frequently looked at his artwork on Etsy.

It was then I realized, while looking at his art covered law notes and books, he was what I wanted to be: successful, using both sides of my brain! I wanted to be a surgeon AND an artist. He made me feel like that was possible. I admire how he never gave up on one dream to achieve the other.

He has his own studio in a house in Broad Ripple, IN and has recently been featured on TV for his work in several local art shows. I see his art evolving just as he did. His influence on my life: Love what you want to be in life with all of your heart and soul and you will be great at it. I want to be the best surgeon that I can be. And, I believe that my love for the arts will be the calming vice to get me there thanks to Mr. Justin Vining!
 



Mr. Vining and Graham
 
Each student acknowledged their guest and gave them a copy of their speech.
 

Justin has his art studio in Broad Ripple.
He also has a store on Etsy which you can visit here:
 http://www.etsy.com/shop/justinvining
 
 
justinvining

This is his "trademark" haunting tree
and
 

 8x10 Giclee Print of a Whimsical Cityscape on top of a Rain Cloud Facing
 
whimsical houses.
 
 They say that imitation is the highest form of flattery.
Well then, Mr. Vining should be VERY flattered!


A sketch of Graham's haunting tree
(which was drawn on his vocab flashcards)
and

 
 
Whimsical houses!


Graham even likes the same artist as Mr. Vining.
(Cindy Thortan)

This is an older drawing of Graham's that has the mixture of both artists.


Mr. Vining wrote Graham a very special note and gave him some
tree stickers, three drawings
(which Graham said he will hang in his office someday)
and


a postcard.

It was a night that Graham soon won't forget!
Thank you so much Mr. Vining!


And thank you Gma and Gpa, Mammy and Kiely for being there for Graham!


So proud of you, buddy :)
 

1 comment:

Ellen Hite said...

Congrats G - I cannot believe you are graduating and moving on to the next step in your life. Uncle Troy and I are so very proud of you. We know you will have every success in life.

Love,

Aunt Ellen

Post a Comment